Guthi Australia is a community-based, non-profit and volunteer driven organisation which aims to raise awareness regarding Newar cultural heritage and to contribute towards Newar cultural preservation in Australia, Nepal and other countries.It’s target group includes not only Newars residing in Australia but also the non-Newar Nepalese community and the wider Australian community. Guthi Australia attempts to ensure smoother integration of Newars into Australian society while providing Australian communities a glimpse into the rich cultural heritage of the Newars. The objectives of Guthi Australia are tied to its vision and are to:
- Undertake primary and secondary research on Newar cultural heritage
- Preserve and promote Newar culture and traditions, language, rites and rituals, music, art and dance
- Generate interest of Newar cultural heritage in Australia to promote cultural diversity
- Provide a platform for individuals to express their ideas and to provide them with opportunities for growth and development through information dissemination, skills development and capacity building
- Mobilize youth as active agents in cultural heritage conservation
- Ensure better integration of the Newar community into mainstream Australian culture; and
- Foster ties with compatriots and collaborate with organizations in various countries to undertake various activities.